I'm exhausted today. We had sixteen patients and I did five stress tests. I was on my feet from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. I didn't catch an error that someone else made and a doctor was not happy with me. I guess I had to take the heat because I really should have caught the error. That's how we roll.
Today is St. Patty's day and I'm wearing my shamrock socks.
I'm starting to think about packing for our trip to Greece. I need to check and see if the hotel has internet in rooms or in a business center. I really don't want to take my lap top, but if I don't check my mail for nine days, I will have 200 e-mails to go through when I get back. Maybe I'll find an internet cafe in Athens.
Mike is so cute - he's actually reading a book on ancient Greece right now and every once in a while he'll shout out a question to me - like, "Do you know that Socrates never wrote anything down?" or "Do you know Homer?" As to the latter, I answered that yes, I read both the Iliad and the Odyssey. Mike said, "To know Greece, you have to know Homer." OK He just said, "Do you know who Aristotle tutored? Alexander the Great." And then, "What we know of today as the complete works of Aristotle are really his lecture notes." "Do you know what a peripatetic is?" No. What? "It comes from a Greek word meaning meanderer. Where that came from - Aristotle paced around when he lectured and his followers followed him as he paced around, and they came to be known as peripatetics (meanderers)." Lord, help me.........
It's now Thursday and I worked again today. One of my patients was a former drug addict with breast implants and a triple pierced belly button. We tried to get her to faint, but it didn't work, even after we gave her nitroglycerin. Some days, you just have some very unusual patients. Today was like that. They were all just a little 'off'. I love my job, my boss and my co-workers. It's so nice to be able to say that. I feel sorry for people who are unhappy with their jobs.
I looked up shopping in Greece and Turkey to see what kinds of things they have. I learned about the evil eye beads - they're pretty little beads - mostly blue - that look like eyes. I guess they are good luck charms - the eye is supposed to be looking out for you, and scaring off evil. People put these things on their houses, their trees, make jewelry out of them. They used to sell them by the bag - I may need 20 of them. I want to bring some back for my friends.......
Today I feel a little pang of heartbreak over the death of actress Natasha Richardson. She was so talented and so beautiful - too young to be gone. I am heartbroken for her two young sons, and for her beloved husband. Love is such a rare thing - some people squander it. To see two people so devoted, so in love, and to have this taken away by fate just seems too cruel.
Just some random thoughts........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment