Wednesday, May 22, 2019

The Old Grey Mare she ain’t what she used to be…….

The last time I colored my hair was September 6th, 2018. Until then, I’d been seeing my stylist Andrea every 6 weeks, and then doing my own root touch ups a couple of times in between those visits. It was such an inconvenience trying to find a spare hour to do the touch ups. It got me to thinking about just going au naturel. The thought was freeing, it was exciting wondering what color my hair actually was – was it grey, was it white, was it salt and peppery? I felt at the age of 66 it was time. I saw a lot of women my age letting their hair go natural, and I felt it was a good thing.

So after much consideration I just went cold turkey and stopped the coloring. As the roots grew out longer and longer, soon it became obvious to the world that I hadn’t just been too busy to touch them up, I was actually doing this on purpose! As it grew out it was quite a surprise - my hair was white!! It wasn’t hideous, I actually thought the color was OK. The worst thing about it was the half and half appearance of white on top, brown on the bottom. I got it cut every 6 weeks as the two ends worked their way toward each other.

BUT

After 8 1/2 months of not coloring my hair, I can’t get over the feeling that, when I look in the mirror, I don't see ‘me’. I definitely see a grandma, which I am. I definitely see an old lady, which I guess I am, chronologically. I just don’t feel good about it. I tried. I can’t accept myself like this.

So today I went back to youth. I went back to seeing myself in the mirror as I see myself in my heart. There’s time for me to go grey again – maybe in another 10 years. I’m just not ready yet. I’m not sorry I tried. I wondered what it would be like, and now I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment