Thursday, June 24, 2021

So, I'll tell you a story. The other day I called the Tribune to cancel my subscription. What's happening at the Tribune is emblematic of what's happening in the world of the third millennium. Services are cut, prices increase, and people have no value. (Think airlines.) I'm disgusted that the new owners offered a buyout to their outstanding columnists, who of course could see the writing on the wall and took the buyouts. I've been a subscriber for decades. It's a hard habit to break - even though by the time I get the paper I've already gotten the news from other sources. I told myself the written word was more in depth, and there is actually a journalistic editorial standard being met by a newspaper which is sometimes sadly lacking on the internet. Plus there was the daily Sudoku! But when the columnists started writing their farewell columns, that was the last straw. So the other day I had to call them. They won't let you cancel online. They won't even let you stop the EZ Pay method of auto-pay unless you talk to a real person. So I called, and when I finally got the person, she talked me into keeping the Sunday only version. I thought about this for two days and this morning I called them back to cancel that one too. There's more to this story - I had an extended paid to date due to a changed subscription fee that missed an EZ Pay date. So when I cancelled this morning, and they tried to tell me I still owed them $5, that was the second last straw. I cited my previous conversation, who I spoke with, the extended paid through date, etc etc etc. (I keep good notes). I found myself getting angrier and angrier. I think my anger stems from the way the world has changed. You get to this age and you remember how things used to be, and you lose your patience. Patience is such a virtue. The message here is that I'm not happy with my behavior. Sometimes an unpleasant quality comes out of me when I'm angry or frustrated and I need to work on that. Even at my advanced age I'm still a work in progress. There are constant opportunities for self improvement. I hope I never think I'm done. Thanks for hearing my confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment