Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Mothers

Today, July 14, 2024, is the 48th anniversary of the day I became a mother. When Mike and I decided we were ready to have children (and in those days, people had the freedom to choose such personal issues for themselves, but that's another post), it took a little longer to happen than we expected - two years longer. It was an agonizing wait. My birthday horoscope in 1975 stated that in October I would be "planting seeds which would bear fruit next year" Heather was born the following July. I remember it like it was a movie - working so hard to get her born, the nurse telling me she had never seen a baby that looked as much like her mother, standing over her crib and looking down at her with tears streaming, marveling at how precious she was. My mother stayed over for a couple of nights and when Heather stirred at 2 am, I immediately got up and went into the hall, standing by her bedroom door for a second (again, things were different in those days - many of us didn't have the newborn sleep in the parent's room. But she was 15 feet away from us.) Anyway I stood there for a moment and my mother appeared, calming me, advising me. Teaching me how to discern the meanings of different sounding cries. Heather (and indeed all of my babies) was very easy. Textbook easy. And the gift of Heather keeps on giving. So blessed by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment