The blog entry I posted yesterday came after a two month hiatus. It got me to thinking about what it is that compels me to sit down and write. The impetus yesterday was, first, the anticipation of my road trip with Shannon. Which led to thoughts about the last stop on the trip, and the inevitable sadness that comes with my reflections on the loss of my father. That loss is what set me on the path of rediscovery. I guess I view that pie slice of my life as one of the things that defines me.
But about my writing muse, I know that for some people, joy is the inspiration for their creativity. I was thinking that, for me, the things that most encourage my desire to write, are things that are kind of emotionally wrenching. I mean, what’s the point of writing your feelings down when everything is going well? When you’re happy? (Oh – there’s one of those fragments again – sorry spellcheck editor, I LIKE fragments – it’s called STYLE!)
Anyway, it occurred to me that when you meet a friend on the street and you ask them how they are, the answer is(thankfully)usually positive - “Things are good”, or “Everything’s great, how ‘bout yourself?”, or “Oh gosh we’ve been so busy but everyone’s doing well”. Glad to hear it, but it’s not inspirational. However, when their voice drops to a more intimate level, they move in a little closer, and the truth comes out: “Oh God Dawn my life is falling apart.”, or “I’m so glad I ran into you, I’ve been wanting to call you to tell you what happened….” that’s what we all live for, isn’t it? Our ears perk up, we shift into the ‘good listener’ role, and provide whatever advice and comfort we feel the situation warrants. I don’t mean to imply that we find satisfaction when people suffer – of course not! I’m only saying that it’s the trial and tribulation of life that is fodder for the written word. I think that some of the greatest works of literature, art, music – might have come from a place of darkness in someone’s soul.
Right now, for me, most slices of my life’s pie are great. One is not, but it’s always going to be that way, nothing I can do about it. I can’t change the past, I can only continue to accept it.
I’m pretty sure there’s another slice that is going to be my muse in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment