Thursday, July 23, 2009

Random Birthday Thoughts

Today is my 57th birthday. I woke up at 7:23. No surprise. The first thing I did was contemplate my life; birthdays are the day for that I guess. I thought of my dad. I’ve lived 54 years without him. Is he watching me? Does he know how I turned out? I thought about how I might have another 30 years or so of life, and if I think back to thirty years in the past when I was twenty-seven, that feels like a lifetime ago. So I guess that means I have another lifetime ahead of me. It’s interesting to think of what that time might hold in store for me.

I came down to the kitchen and there are presents on the table! Oh boy! Presents ARE nice – but I can honestly say I don’t care about presents for myself any more. I have everything I’ve ever wanted. Life is good.

Mike will be home early and we’ll go out for lunch – I want to eat outside, near water. Then later I’ll take a plane to Texas for my visit with Meaghan.

OK this morning, like I said I got up at 7:23. But the phone kept ringing so I didn’t get out of the bathroom till 8:00. I was going through my cabinet, neatening things up a bit as I like to do before a trip. (I don’t know why I do that – I clear everything off my sink area and put away all the clothes that I throw on the tub surround. Maybe I feel like, if I don’t come back I want what I leave behind to be neat. That’s so morbid, but I think that’s the reason.) Anyway, I found this little packet of temporary tattoos that had one little rose left in it. What a perfect time to use it! It’s my birthday, I’m going to Texas, I need a tattoo. So I followed the instructions and put it on my ankle – it looked fantastic, except for the fact that it was angled a little funny, with the stem of the rose going sideways instead of down. I couldn’t deal with that. I had to remove it. I was disappointed! Before I die, I think I want to get a tattoo. OK, well, maybe another packet of temporary tattoos………

The phone rang at 8:30 and I could hear a bunch of nutty women singing “Happy Birthday to you…..” My friends from work called. That made me so happy.

I think I’m going to run over to Michael’s now. They called and told me my framing job was ready. Mike got me a ‘Wakefield’ coat of arms for my birthday and I had it framed. It’s my birthday and everything is full circle. It’s a day for contemplating and evaluating. Who I am, what I’ve done, what I’m doing. So this framed coat of arms is perfect for me today. The Wakefield motto is “I conquer difficulties”. I guess I’ve done that a few times in my life.

I think I'll take my cowboy hat with me today.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning, I enjoyed your post. Started reading it because yoru daughter said you are cool! :) But of course found other connections. Not directly but periferally. My step-son Henry turned 9 yesterday. And his dad dies when he was 3. I am guessing in 48 years he may have some of the same musings. You can learn a bit more on that from my wifes blog if you are interested. Don't you love how this internet thing creates connections.
    http://www.mysaintedeadhusband.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete