Saturday, December 14, 2013

December Snow


There are many beautiful things in this world - a child laughing, seeing love in someone's eyes, a garden of flowers in full bloom. But there are few things more beautiful than snow falling. Right now I am sitting in my dining room, looking out at our back yard, and watching the snow fall. It's so clean and fresh. In the spring, when we get a much needed soaking rain, I can almost feel the earth being renewed. In winter, snow is a similar gift. Everything around us is dormant, grey, brown. And then comes the snow - bearing a promise of sorts, that we are moving forward through this harsh season and there is beauty here too. After it stops, if the sun comes out while it's still fresh, we may see the diamond sparkles.

There is quiet in the snow. I guess there's a scientific explanation for the quiet. I think it has to do with the absorption of sound waves. But science aside, the fact is that when it snows, there is a calm. I remember when I was a kid, my mom would bundle me up to play outside. My favorite snow activity was cave building - barely able to move, I would carve out a snow cave and crawl inside. I loved the quiet in those little snow caves.

So I am not going to think about how we're going to have to have our driveway plowed today. And I won't think about how stressful it will be to be out there driving today. I'm only going to think about how beautiful it is, how much I truly love winter, and how there is beauty all around us if we stop and listen to the quiet.

Some of my grandkids are coming over this afternoon. Maybe we'll make a snow cave.......

No comments:

Post a Comment